Why are we studying the Heidelberg Catechism, and why is this important? Why do we need catechesis (the study of the basic principles of the Christian faith)?
1. Because we are commanded by God to teach our children the principles of the Christian faith. Dt. 6:4-9
2. Because eternal life is found in knowing the living God and the Lord Jesus – John 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.
3. Because our faith is founded upon hearing and understanding the word of God – Rom 10 Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.
4. Because it is one way that we preserve the church. Without a clear articulation of our faith, we are apt to follow and believe any foolish thing that comes along. We must be able to articulate our faith so that we can preserve it and avoid error.
5. Because in the preservation of the Church lies the preservation of our families and culture and nation. We get that backwards and think that preserving the family preserves the Church. But it is from the body of Christ that all life flows to every other sphere. The family has no life on its own.
6. Because understanding the basics of the Christian faith helps us to better understand the complicated parts of the Bible and the Christian faith.
7. Because if we are going to disciple the nations we must first be discipled.
8. Because we need to train up teachers for the next generation.
Come on Wednesday nights and join the conversation.